Now I know some people look at broccoli as quite a boring vegetable, but this vegetable should be labeled as a super-food due its amazing benefits.
Broccoli is a low glycemic index vegetable, highly fibrous and has been associated with these benefits:
- Reduces risk of heart disease, diabetes and cancer
- Lowers the inflammations levels in the body
- Reduction in the production of “bad/toxic” estrogens.
The health benefits are linked to the phytonutrient glucoraphanin found in broccoli.
Eating broccoli can help with eliminating estrogen safely from the body and can help you to lose excess body fat and reduce the risk of cancer.
Estrogen is a problem for both men and women due to a number of factors.
(Man Boobs, Bat Wings, Muffin Tops, Love Handles that we don’t really love, are all formed due to excess estrogen in our bodies)
A major problem is the amounts of chemical estrogens we are exposed to daily.
Chemical estrogens are in plastic bottles, cosmetics, personal care products, pesticides and animal hormones.
Masticating (chewing) broccoli activates the enzyme myrosinase, which converts glucoraphanin into sulforaphane.
Sulforaphane is what gives broccoli such a strong reputation for optimal health building.
If you eat frozen broccoli, the blanching before freezing inactivates the enzyme myrosinase. Thus preventing the conversion of glucoraphanin into sulforaphane.
Frozen broccoli has very poor potential for sulforaphane conversion. Cooking it in the microwave makes things even worse. So unless you just like the taste of broccoli and don’t want any health benefits from eating it, then continue to do this.
How to get the most out of the right broccoli:
- Buy organic. There is more sulforaphane conversion in organic broccoli then there is the conventional one.
- The best ways to serve and consume your broccoli is to lightly steam and sauté it or even eat it raw. Steamed has been shown to produce the highest amounts of sulforaphane.
- Ensure you are chewing your food properly to activate the enzymes needed for optimum benefits.
So next time you do your fresh produce shop, you might think twice about skimming over this wonder vegetable and appreciate its amazing benefits.
You may also enjoy: